Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Life Goes On


And today... we hunt. (cue Mutual of Omaha's "Wild Kingdom" theme)

Our quarry? The very rare and incredibly elusive Spruce Grouse, or more aptly named Fools Hen. I was lucky enough to spot one today while surveying the wilds outside my lodge (looking out the kitchen window while washing dishes).

There she is, all elusive, clever and sneaky - let's learn about the special skills she has.

My assistant on todays Safari? The indispensable Buster

Let's go get Big Bird!

Skill #1: Hunker Down

I am cleverly disguised as a rock, a non snow covered rock.

Skill #2: Walk Away...Slowly

Hey, let's just ALL walk away OK?


Skill#3: Sit in a bush



I realize that I am only four feet from you, and at eye level - BUT I am brown and mottled like this leafless bush - therefore I am invisible.

And so ends today's nature show. No chickens were harmed in the making of this highly educational documentary - sorry Buster.

Hey, I was looking forward to take out for dinner, as in "you take her out, I'll have her for dinner".





No comments: