Thursday, May 13, 2010

Now I'm starting to understand

why sheep farms tend to look a little "worn". 

For one thing, the fences are all quickly starting to look like this. 


I'm sure the birds love using this stuff for their nests, but there just aren't enough birds around to clean this up.

And then tonight Gordon decided that fences really didn't apply to him. 


I've (as in Hope does the work and I offer advice) been moving him and his buddy in and out of the same yard for a week without any trouble at all.  Tonight things went terribly sideways - I still haven't figured out why - and he decided to jump through the fence. 

 
and into the pen with the ewes and lambs. His much wiser buddy chose not to bust through the fence, but was entirely unhappy about being on the wrong side. Sheep don't like to be by themselves...ever.

 
Well that sucked...but hey, yet another opportunity for "real work".  Incredibly, Hope figured out really quick that I wanted Gordon shed off the girls and moved out of the pen. It only took two tries and the next thing you know we had him out of the pen. 

 
and we didn't put him through the fence on the other side where the ewe lambs were enjoying the show. 

After that it was just a matter of putting him and his buddy back together again and then back to their pen. 

It all sounds pretty straight forward, but it was some of the best work I've ever seen Hope do. He got the job done efficiently AND with a cool head. It looks like lambing has been a really good experience for BOTH of us. 


Gordon and Buy-Low back in their pen. Oh and the tree? That's another "look" that I'm getting used to around here.

Good boy Hopey.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Believe it or not, I don't clean up any of that wool from our hair sheep. It does all disappear, so I figure that there are a lot of bird and mouse nests that have a real nice lining.

Sounds like some good work from your dogs today.

prairiesoul said...

One thing I learned over the years was to always mark down the dates when the rams got out. You may need this date for future reference down the road in lets say Oct or Nov.